Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The island where the wind blows

This is a full week recap, from my 6 day vacation on Lyrön - the island further up on the west coast, where the wind never goes away. Here goes day one (the rest will follow later on).

This Sunday was THE best day of the year; I had just gotten up to the island the day before, anxiously anticipating the awesome forecast, though with reasonable doubt. The forecasts this year haven't been accurate even a bit. I quickly learnt that this wasn't an exception, but instead of working against me it went in my favor. I woke up at 5.30 a.m just so stoked to get on my 5.2 with some decent power, and hearing the wind rustle the trees I could tell that power was guaranteed. Got my breakfast down, threw all my stuff on the dock down in the harbor, but had the feeling that the wind was stronger then I had expected. I though: What the heck, let's go for 4.8 and see what happens (the thing is that once I get out there, it's gonna take me about half an hour to get back in and then get out again. The thing is, that sailing here takes a lot of commitment, cause going out you need to be prepared to put in the extra hour or two. I was up for it, believe me. I packed a plastic bag full of food and water, duck-taped it to the nose of my board and went for the 10 minute swim out from the small harbor, that just happened to be jam packed with jellyfish. Big nasty yellow/red jellyfish, stinging like motherfuckers. I had prepared for this too, by sealing my gaps between suit and shoe with duck-tape.

When I finally got to my spot between a neighboring island and the mainland, I dropped my bag off at a dock on the mainland and got to work.

First run: On port, Shaka followed by a Kono, going starboard with huge Sw-Kono 180 right into another nice Shaka on port. Good start and it just got better. 4.8, full power, and I was sailing like never before. The air I got was totally different from anything I had gotten before, over rotating Sw-Konos fully standing, flying full air-360 Konos, crashing left and right on my Culo and Burner-attempts. I'm really starting to get comfortable in strong winds now, especially with the ducking moves. Trying Burners I got freaking close to landing in the right position, starting with an upwind carve, getting a fast sail rotation, but just barely not getting enough height to get the whole board spin. I tried some One-handed Burners too, and seemed to get the sail right every time. This is a really nice move, gotta land it soon.

I was all over the place, mostly just trying to go a big and far as possible on everthing, crashing loads and loads. After about 4 solid hours the wind died down a bit and I docked my shit at the harbor overlooking the arena to eat some digestive and bananas.

When I jumped in superman style from the dock, I wasn't that powered any more, but decided to make the best of a bad situation; taking some practice heats against myself I got comfortable with landing my 3-4 basic moves on each side over a 5 minute interval, regular on one side and switch on the other. When I just couldn't stand up any more I went back to my island to rest. That leaves us with some 7 strong hours of radical sailing. The hardest part of all is entering the laguna where my dock is situated cause the wind's always blocked, and it's always so funny to see how far inside you can get without having to swim.

After a nice lunch and an hour of sleep I swam out yet again and had the best afternoon-to-night session of my life. The wind was even stronger that it had been during the morning, and I was so over powered on my 4.8. The chop for Shakas was perfect and I got some mean hang time. But, the best of all was when I started landing my previously over rotated Sw-Konos, getting big sliding 360s. I kept on sailing and sailing all the way into the sunset, enjoying the beautiful scenery and the giant waves from the big boats passing through, when I finally decided to call it quits and got back home, I had been out for 4 hours straight. With a day of 11 hours total (TimeOnWater record baby!) I was totally wasted, feeling slightly dizzy and so damn satisfied. I've had many good days windsurfing so far, but this one goes top 5, easily.

To end things me and my sister had a nice barbeque, and she told me that she'd been watching my train through a pair of binoculars, sitting on top of the highest cliff on the island. She said that my Konos look like in the movies. Haha.

Peace.

Håkman

(20 000 visitors, HOLLA!)

No comments: