Friday, May 29, 2009

Fucking windy

It's been blowing like 50 knots these last few days, and of course I managed to time it perfectly with some time off work. I work at a local surf-center right now, which is pretty sweet, except for the fact that my gear is stuck in the bay with the big F.

I had an after-work session on Tuesday, and got to sail some switch in the bay for the first time in a very long while. The winds were blowing from the south, but were hell of gusty, unfortunately. It can get really flat and pretty sick for switch when the wind is on the exact right course, which was not the case this time.

Wednesday was just crazy; I even had problems rigging and getting into the water due to the strong winds. The guys who had a lot to choose from were rolling with 3.7:s, but as I'm pretty much limited to my two good sails and the 6 year old 4.0 Poison, I had no choice but to crank the down haul to the max. I got about 5 solid hours before my mind was totally blown out. The sickest move today was probably Nikkes' Air-Shaka that ended in a ridiculously hard crash and just splashed all over the place.

Thursday was pretty much the same deal, but this time the time was really shallow which made Shitbay incredibly flat considering the circumstances. I had some sick high jumps off the chop in the middle of the bay. It's always nice to get to fly once in a while... Ian was flying the highest though. I'll tell you - this guy is sick in strong wind, just elevating to the extreme, plus doing forwards on both tacks. As for the rest of the session; I planed out of a few Double Flakas, which was pretty unexpected. The craziest thing was probably my unintentional Triple Flaka that almost was completed, but of course I had to fall in during the last 180. I was pretty close to the Grubby into Flaka as well, and I think that I might not take too long to get those reverse-rotation combinations down (hopefully).

It's always nice to see all the guys on the water every day, and I think everyone have realized that when the wind is on you just gotta go for it, cause it might not happen again for a few weeks.

Over 'n out.

Håkman

No comments: